PUCL Demands Immediate Release of Human Rights Activists From Across India Arrested When Heading to Koodankulam
October 15, 2012
PUCL-Tamil Nadu and Puducherry learns from the press reports and our colleagues that a group of 11 human rights activists heading to Koodankulam on 12th Oct.2012 for a fact finding mission on police firing on KKNP protestors last month, were arrested at Moondradaipu toll gate in Tirunelvi district under sections 353 of IPC (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 7(1) (a) (The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1932). It is learnt that they were remanded and taken to Palayamkottai jail.
The details of the arrested activists are as follows:
1. K. Kesavan (33), an advocate and State Joint Secretary of Centre for Protection of Civil Liberties (CPCLC) from Sellur, Madurai
2. Jehan (23), member of Student Apprising Movement for Social Welfare, Madurai
3. Palanisamy (48), Anti Imperialist Movement, State Secretary, Tamil Nadu
4. Hameed (43), member of Andhra Pradesh Civil Liberties Committee (APCLC)
5. Damodar Puri (32), Member, Ranchi Dist., People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)-Jharkhand
6. Aravind Kumar Avinas (50), President, Ranchi Dist., People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)-Jharkhand
7. Dastagiri (24), Rayalseema Student Federation, Andhra Pradesh
8. Pratima Das, an advocate, Odisha High Court & part of Committee for Release of Political Prisoners
9. Priya, Democratic Students’ Union, New Delhi
10. Agarathi, a woman advocate and part of CPCL of Madurai
11. Varalakshmi, General Secretary of Revolutionary Writers Association, Andhra Pradesh
PUCL, Tamil Nadu-Puducherry strongly condemns the arbitrary arrest of these activists and spreading of news by the police that these activists possessed serious and sensitive literature. This is totally unwarranted and is meant to intimidate the rights activists. They are educated and concerned citizens of the society and it is their duty to go for a fact finding mission of this nature. Hence, PUCL demands the government to immediately release these activists and to drop of all cases against them.
— with Balu Kavi, Jamalan Jahir Hussain, Jeyachandra Hashmi and 19 others.